Capital Paving is looking to fill Topman positions on sewer & watermain crews for the upcoming 2022 construction season. If you are interested in a hands-on approach to gaining valuable construction experience, we would like to connect with you.
Office Location: 4459 Concession 7, Puslinch, ON N0B 2J0.
Date Posted: March 7, 2022.
Posting Closing Date: April 1, 2022.
Start Date: April 25, 2022 (Construction Season).
Directly Reporting To: Foreperson.
Indirect Report: Supervisor / Project Manager / Sewer & Watermain Superintendent.
Capital Paving is a heavy civil construction company with headquarters in Puslinch, ON. Established in 1982, Capital is proudly entering its 40th anniversary year and is looking for energetic, team-oriented individuals to join our rapidly expanding construction team. Capital Paving specializes in multi-faceted heavy civil projects ranging in size from single-day paving operations to any Industrial/ Commercial/ Institutional projects, to multi-year municipal & MTO reconstruction projects, including alternate delivery methods. Capital Paving has the in-house capacity to complete paving, grading, curb, sidewalk, structural concrete such as retaining wall and bridges, sewer and watermain installation, aggregate processing, asphalt manufacturing along with ‘in house’ material testing and equipment maintenance facility.
The responsibilities of a Topman will be read and interpret site layout, provide grades and relative locations to the pipelayer, ensure the production maintains line and quality of work standard is achieved. The Topman will be responsible for communicating with the loader operator and other crew members to ensure the correct materials are available in front of the crew to maintain production. The Topman will be responsible for assisting the crew in digging for locates and ensuring they are properly marked in the field ahead of the crew. The Topman will perform physical activities that require considerable physical exertion, including bolting watermain components ahead of the crew, cutting and preparing pipe, and rigging and hoisting items to the crew members below.
- Operate and maintain a variety of construction tools and small equipment.
- Adhere to quality workmanship standards set forth by the crew and company.
- Clean equipment, facilities and maintain housekeeping on the project site.
- Maintain construction tools or equipment.
- Signal equipment operators to indicate proper equipment positioning.
- Check grades with GPS Rover, stick layout, rotary laser, or tape measure when necessary.
- Have the ability to use a survey transit and read offset stakes for layout.
- Have a knowledge of underground infrastructure components and the assembly techniques that apply to them.
- Review blueprints or specifications to determine work requirements.
- Understand the definition of confined space and the required processes and procedures that must be adhered to.
- Compact materials to create level bases for pipes and structures.
- Dig holes or trenches to locate utilities.
- Cut and prepare pipes for installation, rigging and hoisting of underground components.
- Mark reference points on construction materials.
- Mix and use concrete to parge and bench.
- Operate construction equipment (jumping jack, jackhammer, quick-cut saw, etc.).
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Minimum 1-year experience in civil infrastructure construction.
- Experience with sewer and water-main projects will be considered an asset.
- Experience reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications.
- Strong understanding and enforcement of the Occupational Health and Safety Act on site.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, weekends, nights, etc.
- Experience in the use of GPS equipment is an asset.
- Valid G-Class Driver’s License.
Apply by sending a resume to email@example.com
Ensure the position you are applying for is listed in the subject line.