Capital Paving is looking to hire a Sewer & Watermain Superintendent to join our team for the upcoming 2022 construction season. If you enjoy a hands-on approach to leading and mentoring a team then we would like to connect with you.
Location: 4459 Concession 7, Puslinch, ON N0B 2J0
Date Posted: January 19, 2022
Application Deadline: February 25, 2022
Start Date: March 15, 2022 (Construction Season)
Reporting To: Infrastructure and Development Manager
Indirect Report: Senior Construction Operations Team, Construction Project Managers and Supervisors
Capital Paving is a heavy civil construction company with headquarters in Puslinch, ON. Established in 1982, Capital is proudly entering our 40th anniversary year and are looking for energetic, team-oriented individuals to join our rapidly expanding construction team. Capital Paving specializes in multi-faceted heavy civil projects ranging in size from single day paving operations to any Industrial/ Commercial/ Institutional projects, to multi-year municipal & MTO reconstruction projects, including alternate delivery methods. Capital Paving has the in-house capacity to complete paving, grading,
curb, sidewalk, structural concrete such as retaining wall and bridges, sewer and watermain installation, aggregate processing, asphalt manufacturing along with ‘in house’ material testing and equipment maintenance facility.
The Sewer and Watermain Superintendent will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the sewer and watermain crews. This will involve liaising with other members of the Capital Paving project team, ensuring quality work from the Foreman and crew while adhering to all technical, safety and productivity standards. This position will require you to be responsible for the personal development of the Sewer Foreman and all members of the crew. You will be expected to lead your team efficiently while ensuring compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, as well as enforcing policies outlined in Capital Paving’s Health and Safety Manual.
Key responsibilities include:
• Oversee Sewer and Watermain Projects and Personnel to ensure they meet objectives including:
- quality of workmanship
- technical specifications (including minimizing deficiencies)
- expectations for jobsite safety
- scheduling and productivity.
• Provide guidance and coaching to Sewer and Watermain Foremen to support them in giving clear work direction and effective training to the Crew. Ensure Foremen are managing work performance and productivity of Crew through regular feedback and guidance to ensure work is being done effectively and that OHSA and Capital’s H&S policies and procedures are being followed.
• Apprise Infrastructure and Development Manager / Construction Operations Manager of project status on a daily/weekly basis, and discuss and implement modifications to resources, schedule, and projected production against Estimate if appropriate.
• Manage Sewer and Watermain Crew schedule and take appropriate actions to effectively deal with the implications of delays, inclement weather or emergencies at construction sites. Be available for onsite meetings with Project Managers well in advance of Crew arriving to site to ensure a seamless transition from site to site.
• Manage Sewer and Watermain Crew Make-up, including Crew Foreman, and make changes to equipment or human resources as necessary. Be available for open discussions with Foreman and Crew Members and discuss any issues up-front and professionally, including termination. Lead recruitment initiatives for the sewer and water main division with the goal of expanding the workforce within the first two years.
• Working with the project team, help to identify and manage change in scope and ensure that these changes are documented properly and approved by the client for payment.
• Maintain diary for record-keeping purposes.
• Schedule and attend site visits with Project Managers and Supervisors prior to Sewer & Watermain Crew arrival to ensure the assigned tasks can be staffed appropriately with equipment and crew members, as well as required materials have been procured and are available on site.
• Be familiar with DGSSMS, OPSS and other specifications for the local municipalities. Ensure Foreman and crew members follow these specifications while performing daily work.
• Execute construction plans with open communication between Project Supervisors and Project Managers of the associated project.
• Possess extensive road building and infrastructure renewal knowledge, including previous experience as a Superintendent.
• Candidates must have experience reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications.
• Strong organizational, leadership, and supervisory skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Team player and positive crew motivator.
• Strong understanding and enforcement of the Occupational Health and Safety Act on site.
• Knowledge of OTM Book 7 will be considered an asset. Additional training can be
arranged for successful candidates.
• Must be willing to work flexible hours, weekends and nights when required etc.
• Valid G-Class Driver’s License.
• Company vehicle, gas card and phone.
• This is a year-round salaried position offering competitive salary and benefit package, retirement savings plan and paid vacation time
• Yearly salary reviews will be completed with the Senior Construction Operations Team along with quarterly performance reviews / open communication meetings will be completed with all salaried staff.
Apply by sending a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ensure the position you are applying for is listed in the subject line.