Capital Paving is looking to hire a Construction Project Supervisor to join our team for the upcoming 2022 construction season. If you are interested in a hands-on approach to gaining valuable construction experience, we would like to connect with you.
Office Location: 4459 Concession 7, Puslinch, ON N0B 2J0
Date Posted: January 17, 2022
Application Deadline: February 25, 2022
Start Date: March 15, 2022 (Construction Season)
Directly Reporting To: Construction Project Managers
Indirect Report: Senior Construction Operations Team
Capital Paving is a heavy civil construction company with headquarters in Puslinch, ON. Established in 1982, Capital is proudly entering our 40th anniversary year and are looking for energetic, teamoriented individuals to join our rapidly expanding construction team. Capital Paving specializes in multi-faceted heavy civil projects ranging in size from single day paving operations to any Industrial/ Commercial/ Institutional projects, to multi-year municipal & MTO reconstruction projects, including alternate delivery methods. Capital Paving has the in-house capacity to complete paving, grading, curb, sidewalk, structural concrete such as retaining wall and bridges, sewer and watermain installation, aggregate processing, asphalt manufacturing along with ‘in house’ material testing and equipment maintenance facility.
The Construction Supervisor is responsible for managing the day-to-day activities of construction projects by ensuring quality workmanship and the adherence to technical specifications are top priority. Implementing and monitoring cost containment measures to ensure project profitability and identification of any deviations from the original project plan budget and scope of work. The Construction Supervisor is responsible for, scheduling and supervision of all construction crews/subcontractors crews on their assigned projects, ensuring job sites are safe and in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations for Construction Projects (OHSA and RCP) and that safe work policies and procedures outlined in Capital's Health and Safety Program are diligently enforced.
- Oversee construction projects to ensure they meet objectives including:
- Quality workmanship
- Technical specifications (including minimizing deficiencies)
- Reliability and timeliness
- Scheduling and productivity
- Lead the daily construction activities and hold Foreman accountable for their assigned tasks
- Continually monitor construction projects to mitigate risk hazards
• Supervise the daily construction activities and tracking of project costs as they are a key
contributor to tracking project profitability. Work with estimating personnel to gain understanding of the project estimate and identify opportunities to ensure profitability on the project. Track production relative to project estimate and flag any cost related concerns on a pro-active basis to the Project Manager.
• Work with the site Foremen to support them in giving clear work direction and effective
training to the crew. Ensure Foremen are managing work performance and productivity of crew personnel through regular feedback and guidance to ensure work is being done effectively and that OHSA and Capital’s H&S policies and procedures are being followed.
• Apprise Project Manager of project schedule on a regular basis, and recommend
modifications to resources, schedule, and projected production against estimate if appropriate.
• Take appropriate actions to effectively deal with the implications of delays, inclement
weather, or emergencies at construction site.
• Track delays on site to assist the Project Manager with the preparation of an Extension of
Time request as required.
Daily Responsibilities and Expectations:
• Prepare project documentation such as locates, traffic control plans, permits and safety/environmental plans.
• Measuring quantities for payment and documentation of daily construction productions and any required negotiations with inspectors.
• Coordinate with Contract Administrators, Owner Representatives, and Project Managers of onsite progress and concerns and apprise of any issues encountered.
• Provide coaching and mentoring to crews, including building effective ways to increase
• Report to the Project Manager for costing and any change in scope of work or working
conditions, including the identified trigger for the change.
• Conduct frequent inspections of work area, direct corrective action for unsafe conditions and review Job Site Hazard Analysis accordingly.
• Ensure that quality assurance practices are being met. Supervise quality assurance program
for field operations and advises Project Manager of non-compliance.
• Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of monthly payment draws.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Minimum 2 years experience in civil infrastructure construction.
- Experience with sewer and water-main projects will be considered an asset.
- C.TECH, C.E.T, EIT or P.Eng. designation will be considered an asset.
- Strong organizational, leadership and supervisory skills.
- Experience reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong understanding and enforcement of the Occupational Health and Safety Act on site.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, weekends, nights, etc.
- Knowledge of OTM Book 7 will be considered an asset.
- Valid G-Class Drivers License.
- Competitive wage and benefit package, retirement savings plan, including paid vacation time.
- Company vehicle, gas card, laptop and phone.
- Yearly Salary Reviews will be completed with the Senior Construction Operations Team along with quarterly performance reviews / open communication meetings will be completed with all salaried staff.
Apply by sending a resume to email@example.com
Ensure the position you are applying for is listed in the subject line.