Capital Paving is looking to hire a Construction Co-op Student to join our team for the upcoming 2022 construction season. If you are interested in a hands-on approach to gaining valuable construction experience, we would like to connect with you.
Office Location: 4459 Concession 7, Puslinch, ON N0B 2J0
Date Posted: January 25, 2022
Application Deadline: February 25, 2022
Start Date: March 15, 2022 (Construction Season)
Directly Reporting To: Construction Project Managers, Construction Project Supervisors
Indirect Report: Senior Construction Operations Team
Capital Paving is a heavy civil construction company with headquarters in Puslinch, ON. Established in 1982, Capital is proudly entering our 40th anniversary year and are looking for energetic, teamoriented individuals to join our rapidly expanding construction team. Capital Paving specializes in multi-faceted heavy civil projects ranging in size from single day paving operations to any Industrial, Commercial, Institutional projects, to multi-year municipal & MTO reconstruction projects, including state of the art delivery methods. Capital Paving has the in-house capacity to complete paving, grading, curb, sidewalk, structural concrete such as retaining wall and bridges, sewer and watermain
installation, aggregate processing, asphalt manufacturing along with in house material testing and equipment maintenance facility. Capital offers a broad range of services which will assist with starting your career in the roadbuilding industry.
The Co-op Student is responsible for assisting Project Managers, Supervisors, and Foreman in the day-to-day activities of construction projects by ensuring quality workmanship, adherence to technical specifications, and implementing and monitoring cost containment measures to ensure project profitability and identification of any deviations from the original project plan budget. The Coop Student is encouraged to take an active role in learning every aspect of the construction activities Capital performs and keep an open line of communication with their supervisory staff to help harbor an effective learning environment. The Co-op Student is responsible for shadowing management staff and learning the fundamentals of scheduling and supervision of the asphalt and construction crews/contractors (Crew) and ensuring job sites are safe and in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations for Construction Projects (OHSA and RCP), and the safe work policies and procedures outlined in Capital's Health and Safety Program are diligently enforced.
- Assist the Project Manager/ Project Supervisor on site with day-to-day construction activities
- Traffic control
- Ordering and completing locate requests
- Administration work including tracking quantities and approving payable and timesheets
- Tracking daily costs and compiling cost analysis
- Complete traffic control diaries, designing traffic control plans according to OTM Book 7
- Schedule material suppliers and subcontractors
- Quantity takeoffs
- Meeting potential clients and measuring sites
- Setting up contracts in estimating software for pricing
- Pricing request from subcontractors and material suppliers
- Ordering bonds and insurance
- Delivering and picking up tenders
- Attending pretender meetings
Other Requirements and Information:
- Valid G/G2 driver’s License is required
- Employee is responsible for their own transportation to get to and from site
- A vehicle will be provided for onsite work as required
- Hourly wage will be $18.50 / hour
- 4% vacation pay and paid Stat Holidays will be in addition to the hourly rate
- Core Hours are Monday to Friday 7:00 am to 5:30 pm with a ½ hour unpaid lunch break
- Overtime, weekend and night work may be required depending on the project
- New Worker Safety Training and Orientation will be provided
Capital is dedicated to playing an active role in developing and assisting students and new graduates to reach their career goals. Many Capital employees currently on staff have been hired on full-time after successful co-op terms, and Capital will continue to do so with the successful candidates.
Apply by sending a resume to email@example.com
Ensure the position you are applying for is listed in the subject line.