Capital Paving is looking to hire a Junior Construction Project Supervisor to join our team for the upcoming 2022 construction season. If you are interested in a hands-on approach to gaining valuable construction experience, we would like to connect with you.
Office Location: 4459 Concession 7, Puslinch, ON N0B 2J0
Date Posted: January 17, 2022
Posting Closing Date: February 25, 2022
Start Date: March 15, 2022 (Construction Season)
Directly Reporting To: Construction Project Managers, Project Supervisors
Indirect Report: Senior Construction Operations Team
Capital Paving is a heavy civil construction company with headquarters in Puslinch, ON. Established in 1982, Capital is proudly entering our 40th anniversary year and are looking for energetic, team-oriented individuals to join our rapidly expanding construction team. Capital Paving specializes in multi-faceted heavy civil projects ranging in size from single day paving operations to any Industrial/ Commercial/ Institutional projects, to multi-year municipal & MTO reconstruction projects, including alternate delivery methods. Capital Paving has the in-house capacity to complete paving, grading,
curb, sidewalk, structural concrete such as retaining wall and bridges, sewer and watermain installation, aggregate processing, asphalt manufacturing along with ‘in house’ material testing and equipment maintenance facility.
The Junior Construction Supervisor is responsible for assisting with managing the day-to-day activities of construction projects by ensuring quality workmanship and the adherence to technical specification are top priority. Monitoring cost containment measures to ensure project profitability and identification of any deviations from the original project plan budget. The Junior Construction Supervisor is responsible for, assisting in scheduling and supervision of all construction crews/subcontractor crews, ensuring job sites are safe and in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations for Construction Projects (OHSA and RCP) and that safe work policies and procedures outlined in Capital's Health and Safety Program are diligently enforced.
• Oversee construction projects to ensure they meet objectives including:
- Quality workmanship.
- Familiar with technical specifications for each project. (Including minimizing deficiencies).
- Reliability and timeliness.
- Scheduling and productivity.
- Assist in leading the daily construction activities and hold foreman accountable for their tasks.
- Continually monitor construction project to mitigate risk hazards.
• Assist with the supervision of the daily construction activities and tracking of project costs as they are a key contributor to tracking project profitability. Work with estimating department to gain understanding of the project estimate and identify opportunities to ensure profitability on the Project.
• Track production relative to project estimate and flag any concerns related to project costs on a proactive
basis to the Project Manager.
• Assist the site Foremen in giving clear work direction and ensuring training principals are acknowledged with field staff. Assist Foremen with managing work performance and learning new methods of personnel management through regular feedback and guidance. Implementing these methods in an onsite environment to ensure work is being completed effectively and that OHSA and Capital’s H&S policies and procedures are being followed.
• Apprise Project Manager of project schedule on a regular basis, and recommend
modifications to resources, schedule, and projected production against Estimate if appropriate.
• Take appropriate actions to effectively deal with the implications of delays, inclement
weather or emergencies at construction site.
• Track delays on site to assist the project manager with the preparation of an extension of time request as required.
Daily Responsibilities and Expectations:
• Prepare project documentation such as locates, traffic control plans, permits and safety/environmental plans.
• Measure quantities for payment and documentation of daily construction productions and any required negotiations with inspectors.
• Coordinate city, government and owner officials regarding scheduling, workmanship,
quantities and safety concerns on site.
• Report to the Project Manager for costing and any change in scope of work or working
conditions, including the identified trigger for the change.
• Conduct frequent inspections of work area, direct corrective action for unsafe conditions and review Job Site Hazard Analysis accordingly.
• Assist the Project Manager in the preparation on monthly payment draws.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Experience with sewer and water-main projects will be considered an asset.
- C.TECH, C.E.T, EIT or P.Eng. designation will be considered an asset, or proof of enrollment in specified programs to obtain designations.
- Strong organizational, leadership and supervisory skills.
- Experience reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong understanding and enforcement of the Occupational Health and Safety Act on site.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, weekends, nights, etc.
- Knowledge of OTM Book 7 will be considered an asset.
- Valid G-Class Driver’s License.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Minimum 1 year experience in civil infrastructure construction.
- Competitive wage and benefit package, retirement savings plan, including paid vacation time.
- Company vehicle, gas card, laptop and phone
- Yearly Salary Reviews will be completed with the Senior Construction Operations Team along with quarterly performance reviews / open communication meetings will be completed with all salaried staff.
Apply by sending a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ensure the position you are applying for is listed in the subject line.