CaCapital Paving is looking to hire a Gradeperson to join our team for the upcoming 2022 construction season. If you are interested in a hands-on approach to gaining valuable construction experience, we would like to connect with you.
Office Location: 4459 Concession 7, Puslinch, ON N0B 2J0
Date Posted: March 7, 2022.
Posting Closing Date: April 1, 2022.
Start Date: April 25, 2022 (Construction Season).
Directly Reporting To: Foreperson.
Indirect Report: Supervisor / Project Manager.
Capital Paving is a heavy civil construction company with headquarters in Puslinch, ON. Established in 1982, Capital is proudly entering its 40th anniversary year and is looking for energetic, team-oriented individuals to join our rapidly expanding construction team. Capital Paving specializes in multi-faceted heavy civil projects ranging in size from single day paving operations to any Industrial/ Commercial/ Institutional projects, to multi-year municipal & MTO reconstruction projects, including alternate delivery methods. Capital Paving has the in-house capacity to complete paving, grading, curb, sidewalk, structural concrete such as retaining wall and bridges, sewer and watermain installation, aggregate processing, asphalt manufacturing along with ‘in house’ material testing and equipment maintenance facility.
The responsibilities of a Gradeperson will be to work with the construction crew and ensure that road building and construction activities are built within tolerances with regard to vertical and horizontal elevations. The Gradeperson will monitor processes, material, and surroundings, as well as assist the foreperson in detecting and assessing constructability issues. They will assist the foreman in organizing, planning, and prioritizing work, and will assist other crew members performing physical activities that require intense physical labour at times. The Gradeperson will be an integral and important member of the construction team but will have the ability to work independently when required.
- Operate and maintain all variety of construction tools and small equipment.
- Adhere to Quality workmanship standards set forth by the crew and company.
- Clean equipment, facilities and maintain housekeeping on the project site.
- Maintain construction tools or equipment - Signal equipment operators to indicate proper equipment positioning.
- Check grades with GPS Rover, stick layout, rotary laser, or tape measure when necessary.
- Have a basic knowledge of installation techniques for underground infrastructure components.
- Review blueprints or specifications to determine work requirements.
- Understand definition of confined space and the required processes and procedures that must be adhered to.
- Compact materials to create level bases for pipe and structures.
- Dig holes or trenches to locate utilities.
- Mark reference points on construction materials.
- Mix and use concrete to parge and bench.
- Operate construction equipment (jumping jack, jackhammer, quick-cut saw, etc.)
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Minimum 1 year experience in civil infrastructure construction.
- Experience with sewer and water-main projects will be considered an asset.
- Experience reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications.
- Strong understanding and enforcement of the Occupational Health and Safety Act on site.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, weekends, nights, etc.
- Experience in the use of GPS equipment is an asset.
- Valid G-Class Driver’s License.
Apply by sending a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ensure the position you are applying for is listed in the subject line.